Thursday, October 27, 2005

Peering From the Foxhole





I’ve been working on a big photo project for a friend the past few days and it seems like old times. I’d almost forgotten what it was like to watch the sun go down and then come back up all from the same seat. Not fun, but every now and then you have to pick up a weapon and stand a post, I just happened to draw the night watch.

Son, we live in a world that has walls. And those walls have to be guarded by men with guns. Who's gonna do it? You? You, Lt. Weinberg? I have a greater responsibility than you can possibly fathom. You weep for Santiago and you curse the marines. You have that luxury. You have the luxury of not knowing what I know: That Santiago's death, while tragic, probably saved lives. And my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, saves lives.
(beat)
You don't want the truth. Because deep down, in places you don't talk about at parties, you want me on that wall. You need me on that wall.
(boasting)
We use words like honor, code, loyalty...we use these words as the backbone to a life spent defending something. You use 'em as a punch line.
(beat)
I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the blanket of the very freedom I provide, then questions the manner in which I provide it. I'd prefer you just said thank you and went on your way. Otherwise, I suggest you pick up a weapon and stand a post.

Fortunately for me I’m just in the National Guard and I don’t have to do this for a living. However, I am pleased with the results and my friend is as well.

5 Comments:

Blogger Johnathan M. Thomas said...

Thank you. I'll be on my way now.

peace.
johno~

Thu Oct 27, 01:23:00 PM PDT  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

oh wow. i love that movie. thanks for the reminder... even though that wasn't your point. i'm gunna go watch it now. bye. =>

Thu Oct 27, 07:59:00 PM PDT  
Blogger Kristi said...

Looks great, Jason! Glad you are pleased. Doing photos for a friend's wedding ranks right up there as one of the most nerve-wracking tasks known to mankind.

Thu Oct 27, 09:07:00 PM PDT  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I think the quote is "...stand at post".

You're in the Guard? Is that figuratively speaking?

Fri Nov 04, 09:23:00 AM PST  
Blogger Jason Hill said...

I'm not in the National Gaurd, I was just stretching the metaphor, you know working all night is like gaurding the wall, but I only work all night on occasion and it is not my full-time gig, just one weekend a month and 2 weeks a year...

You might have somthing there with the quote, Al, but I inserted the original Aaron Sorkin screen play in my post so folks wouldn't be confused about what quote I was reffering to. You may notice that the monologue ends with "I suggest you pick up a weapon and stand a post." Of course sometimes the screenplay and the actual movie differ, so if someone wants to get out their dvd and set me straight I'll be glad to edit my post.

Fri Nov 04, 10:18:00 AM PST  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Older Posts Newer Posts