Wednesday, October 19, 2005

Biscuits

I've been home quite a bit lately so I've been getting a few household chores done like laundry and dishes, but I am lacking in the go-grocery-shopping task. So, we are out of food. It is so bad that for a late breakfast my wife had low-fat, microwave popcorn. You’d think, “why not a bowl of cereal?” But, silly husband has not gone to the store to pick up milk and Capt’n Crunch does not taste right with water.
So after I went for a run with the dog, I was thinking to myself, what can I possibly eat that won’t mean a trip to the store. I’m too hungry to skip the meal altogether, so I must do something… Well, we have no bread, maybe I can bake some?—too long to wait. We might have Bisquick? Yeah, but only reduced fat, ~sigh~ that’s ok, I’ll just kill it with I Can’t Believe Its Not Butter.
I grab the Bisquick box and check out the biscuit recipe: all I need is Bisquick and milk? I wonder to myself if it would taste ok if I made it with water? Probably. Then I think, wait a minute! I’ve got powdered milk from my last back packing adventure and biscuits won’t care if I use powdered milk like the Capt’n would.
So I heat the oven, mix it up and cut the biscuits. I place them neatly on the Pampered Chef stone and wait for the magic. Not 7 minutes later I was looking at what can only be described as an oasis of nutrition in a desert of empty cupboards.
And let me tell you, standing in my wet-from-rain-mist, running shorts in the warmth of the residual heat of the oven I did not even reach for a plate. I put a knife in one hand and chunked generous dollops of I Can’t Believe Its Not Butter on the biscuits that my other hand was rhythmically feeding my mouth. I only slowed down on the third biscuit when I remembered we might still have some raspberry jam, which we did.
Exhibiting a small amount of discipline, I stopped after 3. I’ll save the rest for lunch. I’ll let you write your own moral to this story, but rest assured we are a blessed people and I am reminded of it daily.

6 Comments:

Blogger Steven said...

Great job turning a negative into a positive.

Garrison Keller must be right about the powered milk biscuits. His song about them still isn't funny though and does not need to be sung in every show.

What do you think J? Did biscuit nirvana increase your appreciation for the PMB song?

Wed Oct 19, 03:52:00 PM PDT  
Blogger Kristi said...

I love it! You are such a creative guy...who would have thought powered milk Bisquick?

Wed Oct 19, 04:10:00 PM PDT  
Blogger Carol said...

MMMMM I can almost smell those biscuits!!

Wed Oct 19, 04:18:00 PM PDT  
Blogger Jason Hill said...

Steven, do you mean the one in the big blue box with the picture of
the biscuit on the front, or in the brown bag with the dark
stains that indicate freshness? I've heard they give shy persons the strength to get up and do what has to be done.

I think I'll hear that with a new appreciation after my episode today.

They were good mom, but nothing like the mile-high ones you make with the freshly ground whole-wheat, now that was a biscuit.

Thu Oct 20, 12:36:00 AM PDT  
Blogger Steven said...

J,

Yes! The ones in the blue box with the biscuit on the front. I guess that's a faux-commercial and not a song. I got it mixed up with ketchup.

Thu Oct 20, 04:07:00 PM PDT  
Blogger Jason Hill said...

Apparently the whole PowderedMilk thing has quite a history. Did you know it was the name of a band that used to play on PHC?

Fri Oct 21, 10:05:00 AM PDT  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Older Posts Newer Posts