Thursday, August 18, 2005

Forced Slowness

I don't know how many times I've heard someone complain about driving across Wyoming. You know, they enjoyed their trip, but could have done without the WY stretch. Usually, I offer little argument and just let them have their say. I even on occasion agree with them, conceding that, "There's not much out there". Well today I set the record straight. I like driving across Wyoming, and if you don't, you are missing out. I find the wide-open expanses to be inviting. The earth seems to open its arms and encourage you to explore every inch. Wyoming welcomes you, with nothing to hide as it reveals scene after scene of unreserved openness.

Many of the hikes in my home, the Pacific Northwest offer a parallel. It seems most hikes in the NW are designed to put you in a spot where you can see for miles. It may be a peak, or a meadow or a ridgeline, but we are drawn to places where we can let our vision relax as we enjoy an unobstructed view. For me, the same is found driving across WY. The same vistas we chase as we climb Cascade peaks are unfurled before your windshield as you drive the interstates of Wyoming.

I also enjoy the contrast that Wyoming’s high plains provide to other parts of the country. Trees are great, but they do not have a corner on beauty. Fields of sage and grass are beautiful, rolling hills are beautiful as are erosion revealed crags.
I think perhaps my favorite part of traveling across the first state to allow women to vote is the slowness with which things pass by. With such a wide view, the scenes move by slowly, no matter how quickly you drive. You don’t find this pace in a forest as it rushes by. It allows you to breathe deep, to dwell on the full picture and enjoy its entireness.

For many, a trip is just a destination. They want the driving part to rush by and I think the forced slowness of Wyoming inhibits their hurry. I, however, relish it and look forward to seeing it creep by many more times.

My wife Christa took each photo on this blog as we drove across this gorgeous state.

3 Comments:

Blogger Kristi said...

I agree that Wyoming is beautiful. I have fond memories of those long drives (you describe it well).

I think where we are comfortable really relates to what we are used to or what we grew up with. A pure-bred Texan relative had serious issues with claustraphobia in the Northwest, the view of the big sky being obstructed by the trees and hills. Whenever I'm in a flat place, though, I feel like I'm going to get blown off of the earth (I need a tree to grab on to!)

I'm glad you two got to slow down and enjoy yourselves on the drive.

Thu Aug 18, 02:45:00 PM PDT  
Blogger Jason Hill said...

I can see your point. But, I don't think you would say that the flat place is unappealing, ugly or something you dread just becuse it is not what you are used to.

Remember it was Al that prompted me to write this post with his comment remarking that the drive "through Wyoming gets a little long...". With all his moving around growing up, he has no excuse to be uncomfortable in that place. (Not that I'm bashing on Allan--he just got me to thinking that I usually agree with folks that complain about the WY drive and that is not really how I feel.)

I am glad you have good memories of the drive, it sure did my soul some good.

Sat Aug 20, 12:07:00 AM PDT  
Blogger Jason Hill said...

Cool. I'm looking forwad to hearing about your Wyo tales. Actually I'd love to hear anyone's road trip tales as they recall their time in my home state. Good, bad, funny, sad or otherwise. We can gather them all up and publish a book. Or at least a web-ring :)

Sun Aug 21, 06:20:00 PM PDT  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Older Posts Newer Posts