Thursday, February 08, 2007

Good Night

I am fascinated by challenges. While there were moments of frustration during my picture-a-day-for-a-month challenge, I was delighted with the changes it inspired in me as a photog. Undertaking the challenge of living by a cash flow plan with Christa has been the most eye-opening and liberating experience of my adult life. Our current diet and exercise challenge is re-sculpting my body into a shape not seen in years.

Inspired by all of that, I’m embarking on another challenge: going to bed at 9:30pm for a month.

I’ve always enjoyed a good night’s sleep, but it usually comes at the expense of a late morning. Sleeping in late usually means rushing around and even skipping some morning activities that I don’t want to forego (see exercise challenge above). So, remembering a similar challenge a friend wrote about, I am going to bed early.

Since it is my challenge, I get to set the rules. Going to bed does not mean being asleep. The challenge is to be in bed at 9:30, but it is ok to read or participate in some other activity. In the 7 nights since undertaking this challenge, falling asleep has only been an issue once and that was for only 20 minutes (getting up at 5:30, makes it pretty easy for me to fall asleep before 10pm). On Friday and Saturday I stay up until 10pm. And that’s it.

I’ve already begun to realize things that I wish I could stay ignorant of. Each day only has 24 hours. If you subtract 8 for sleep you are left with 16. I work 8 hours with a 1 hour lunch, and that leaves 7. I average a 50 minute commute which whittles it down to 5 hours 20 minutes. If I spend 60 minutes exercising and it takes 10 minutes each way to get to the gym, I’m down to 4 hours. A precious 4 hours each day for everything else I want to do with my time. Ouch. By the time this month is over there may be some changes.

11 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

That's a great goal, J. I've decided that going to be earlier is the only way I will ever get regular study time into my life. Good luck!

Thu Feb 08, 09:54:00 AM PST  
Blogger Kristi said...

With a tivo and no kids, that sounds like a great challenge! Here's to sound sleep and energized days.

Thu Feb 08, 09:57:00 AM PST  
Blogger Johnathan M. Thomas said...

I wish. I think I'll stick with my current "52" challenge projects. I don't want to be shallow. I did go to bed last night at 11:ish. I thought, "if J can do it..."

I woke up with a sore throat.

Anyhow, I look forward to the end results.

For me... I'll sleep in heaven... Maybe.

peace.

Thu Feb 08, 01:21:00 PM PST  
Blogger Tim said...

We have to go to bed by 9 these days. We are up at least by 5 am every day for both of us to get to work by 6, and we commute together.

As far as having time, with both of us working and sleeping, it's made me question the sorts of things I do with my time. I spend much less time on the internet, playing video games, watching TV, etc. and more time reading and talking.

Thu Feb 08, 05:18:00 PM PST  
Blogger Lindsey said...

Good for you. My challenge didn't last long (my alarm clock broke!), but lately I've been considering revisiting it. I know my immune system would appreciate a consistent bedtime.

Thu Feb 08, 07:26:00 PM PST  
Blogger Unknown said...

Way to go on the next challenge. You inspire me!

Thu Feb 08, 08:02:00 PM PST  
Blogger Adam Wolfgang said...

"Other activities" - I thought this was family friendly!

I'm with ya man, but only b/c I can't stay awake past 10 o'clock, I get up at 5:30 too.

Good luck!

Thu Feb 08, 10:56:00 PM PST  
Blogger Lori Ann said...

i am almost always asleep by 9. i just need to move it to the bed, instead of the couch.

Fri Feb 09, 07:21:00 AM PST  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

9:30?! Wow. With me, things are just getting started then.

Of course, I also don't get up until...um...later.

Fri Feb 09, 12:14:00 PM PST  
Blogger Lisa said...

I always dream of being in bed by 9:30 and up at 5:30 for a morning run, but it just never happens. I am training for a half marathon, and i was happy to find your 18 mile spit blog. Any advice? I'm training on my own and have never run a race. Anyway, good luck on your challenges, a mentor of mine always says, if youre not being challenged, youre not growing. How incredibly true that is!

Tue Feb 20, 01:23:00 PM PST  
Blogger NandL said...

Jason,
You don't know me, I don't know you. But I waddled over here from Jared Ranum's blog. I love the way you have thought this out so thoroughly (sp??). It's hard gettin' older and realizing that the days only get shorter and shorter and shorter..... (Not that you're old or something. We are just all heading in that direction.)
Anyway, good luck with your challenge! I really think I should start one of my own... Surely I can hold onto something for a month... :D
Laura H...

Tue Feb 27, 09:24:00 PM PST  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Older Posts Newer Posts