Friday, December 08, 2006

Cover the Wall

I read a blog called PhotoJojo (you may remember Ike referencing them for a photo project he did. A while back they highlighted an application called the Rasterbator. (Its ok to giggle at that.) Rasterizing is converting images to a series of pixels or “picture elements” along scan lines to transmit or reproduce the image. The Rasterbator does this but the result in my mind is closer to a half-tone. The HalfTonator wouldn’t make anyone giggle though, so I can see why they chose the name they did.

The Rasterbator takes your image and blows it up as big as you want it and then creates a PDF that you put together to make your huge image. I’ve done a few wall sized ones in my house, but I’ve been wanting to do a really big one.

When Greg and I started dreaming about converting the Metro auditorium into the FQ amphitheater, I knew I had found my excuse.

click for largerI already had a 3 image pano from FQ 2003. It is of the crowd with Johno praying up front. A huge, life-sized version of it seemed appropriate for our event.

We made it almost 27 feet wide and 10 feet high. It took 390 sheets of paper and 3.5 hours to hang.


Looking back I would have chosen smaller dots, (a configurable setting in Rasterbator), which would have given more detail in the far away parts of the image. But, over all it turned out fantastically.

I’m planning a snowboarding one for the back of my office door. (Maybe even in color.)

7 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

What kind of paper did you print on? I hope this image is up when I'm home for Xmas

Fri Dec 08, 12:24:00 PM PST  
Blogger Lori Ann said...

that was one sweet picture...the one of you on the snowboard would be really cool too.

Fri Dec 08, 07:04:00 PM PST  
Blogger KMiV said...

Jason you Rastorbater!

The worship last week was great. We had a blast and God was glorified.

Sat Dec 09, 06:52:00 AM PST  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

That's a nifty little tool. I'll have to find something to use it on.

Sat Dec 09, 12:45:00 PM PST  
Blogger Carol said...

I really like your snowboarding shot. I would liked to have seen the big photo on the wall, fascinating.

Sun Dec 10, 03:25:00 PM PST  
Blogger Chris S. said...

That is teh awesome!

BTW, my character verifier to post his is iisbsfib. I don't like the sound of that. >.>

Mon Dec 11, 03:42:00 PM PST  
Blogger rebecca marie said...

you're all like awesome up in here.

(pssssst... over here.... careful not to rastorbate too much, you could go blind...)

Sat Dec 16, 01:00:00 PM PST  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Older Posts Newer Posts