Sunday, October 01, 2006

The Marathon that Ate My Lunch

And a friend who beat it up and took my lunch back.


Today was the 2006 Portland Marathon. It started at 7 am just as the sun was stretching into the sky. I don't know exactly how many participants joined us downtown for the start, but I think it was somewhere between 6 and 8 thousand.
When my training for the marathon started to lag a bit I enlisted my old running partner Shawn to join my on this journey. His steady pace and faithful spirit have been a joy on many long runs and I sure needed him today.The first few miles of a marathon are a kick. Thousands of people, fresh legs, and cool weather make it hard to stick to a slow pace. We were constantly reminding each other to keep the pace down. At mile 1.5 we got our first encouragement from our very own cheering section, Anne & Brian Diedrich, Darren & Stephanie Nielan, and Christa Hill. (Later we would see Nancy and Cameron Jones.)Seeing friendly faces in the crowd is like being greeted at the airport after a long trip.
We made a loop and came right past the same spot 3 miles later and surprised the photographer.Next, the crew moved to a spot near 12 miles and waited for us to appear. We spent miles 6 through 11 on a dull out and back in NW industrial Portland. Our pace was lightened as we passed a praise band: Hallelujah, hallelujah, hallelujah, Your love makes me sing!
The next section took us past Montgomery Park and then out highway 30 to the St John's Bridge. We passed the time by convincing each other that we could certainly run 2 more miles. And at one point, Shawn had to break it to me that my math that had figured there would only be a 10k-to-go after we reached mile 18 was wrong, and the 10k-to-go mark didn't hit until mile 20.
After the bridge we got to see our crew again, this time with Nancy and Cameron. We stopped and stretched briefly.
Our old running buddy Jimmy Young appeared in a few miles and ran with us for about 3--not bad considering he had to run back to his car! His energy was appreciated. It was during this section along the bluff, and leading to the Steel Bridge for the finish, that wheels came off. All of the major muscles in my legs began to cramp. Quads, hamstrings, and calves all let me know that I was pushing them well beyond their ability to perform. I was forced to walk much of the last 4 miles. Shawn choose to sacrifice his finish time to stay with me. I cannot think of a more self-less gesture and I am touched by his friendship. His encouragement and patience meant a lot to me out there.



We finished in 4 hours 22 minutes and 5 seconds.

Here are the mile splits:

  1. 10:18
  2. 00:00, (never saw the marker)
  3. 20:47
  4. 8:57
  5. 8:15
  6. 8:57
  7. 9:20
  8. 8:34
  9. 9:00
  10. 10:17
  11. 8:58
  12. 9:49
  13. 9:35
  14. 9:37
  15. 9:14
  16. 9:39
  17. 9:28
  18. 10:04
  19. 11:26
  20. 9:50
  21. 9:52
  22. 10:59
  23. 9:50
  24. 11:32
  25. 12:41
  26. 12:30
I was carried home and I soaked in a cold tub and then took a long nap. Later we got the whole crew back together for some post-race replenishment at El Indio's.

16 Comments:

Blogger Lori Ann said...

we were thinking about you all yesterday...anyone who does a marathon is super in my book...way to go jason and shawn!

Mon Oct 02, 07:17:00 AM PDT  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey man, sorry about the late-race cramps; what a bummer! Glad you made it through. You clearly gave it all on the course.

Mon Oct 02, 08:12:00 AM PDT  
Blogger Jennifer B. Davis said...

That is a huge accomplishment, Jason! Congratulations on completing the race and surviving. You are blessed to be surrounded by supportive friends and family!

Mon Oct 02, 11:34:00 AM PDT  
Blogger ewall said...

Atta boy JHill, congrats on finishing, good work friend! and great pics, thanks for sharing!

Mon Oct 02, 11:51:00 AM PDT  
Blogger Carol said...

Nice photos, thanks for sharing. I am glad you made it! Did you ever see the guy who is running 50 in 50 days, or his media?

Mon Oct 02, 04:37:00 PM PDT  
Blogger Kristi said...

We were thinking of you yesterday. Congrats on another great accomplishment! The photos are great - makes me feel like I was there, but without the sweat and leg cramps, my preferred way of participating in a marathon.

Mon Oct 02, 07:35:00 PM PDT  
Blogger Lindsey said...

I pretty much just wanted to say that you rock.

Mon Oct 02, 11:04:00 PM PDT  
Blogger dodyb said...

Glad you make it through the marathon. What an accomplishment.

I must say, however, that you are nuts. That is all.

Tue Oct 03, 12:45:00 PM PDT  
Blogger rebecca marie said...

woo hoo! good for you! those pictures made me really happy. i like looking at you guys, you make me happy. you, cause you were that goofy kid with the van that took us to youth ralleys and shawn cause he married me. er, married me and my husband.

Tue Oct 03, 01:51:00 PM PDT  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Great photos, great commentary, great job.

Congratulations Jason.

Tue Oct 03, 02:46:00 PM PDT  
Blogger Kristi said...

Yeah!! Someday I am going to run a marathon, at least I have wanted to for several years now. Maybe we could run together sometime!

Tue Oct 03, 10:32:00 PM PDT  
Blogger Jason Hill said...

Thanks everyone. Marathons are one of the most rewarding events I have ever been a part of. I encourage all of you to run one, support someone who is running one, or just go watch the finish-line of one for an hour. You will not be disappointed.

Tue Oct 03, 11:03:00 PM PDT  
Blogger Unknown said...

Inspiration is your name. Marathon, some day, Lord willing. For now I feel proud of myself for conquering "the incline"--one mile strait up the side of Pikes Peak, 60-75% angle pretty much the whole way!

Wed Oct 04, 10:06:00 AM PDT  
Blogger Mr. T said...

It was great to see the pictures. I'm training for my first marathon coming up in December down in Dallas. Your post just inspired me to not give up. Great job.

Wed Oct 04, 02:27:00 PM PDT  
Blogger Fenn said...

I am so incredibly impressed with you, my friend! Praise God for your willingness to try, condition, work hard and finish! I love you and am just admire you!! Love you, Fenn

Thu Oct 05, 07:24:00 PM PDT  
Blogger Unknown said...

You are welcome to join me for a run anytime! Just hop on a plane and come on down!

I am seriously considering training for the Boulder Backyard Marathon next September. Maybe that would be a good time for us to run together :)

Sun Oct 22, 07:41:00 AM PDT  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Older Posts Newer Posts