Friday, July 07, 2006

Refreshing

The other day it was over 100 degrees. To celebrate I drank a refreshing bottle of Krest. Krest is bottled by the Coca-Cola Company in Africa.

I was introduced to it by my friends the Cashs (Jeff & Cheryl) when I visited them in Uganda. As many of you know I try to avoid beverages with copious amounts of caffeine. (You think I’m hyped up now? You should see me after drinking a Coke.) Before I went to Africa, I was instructed by Johno, Steve and Ike that a cold beverage should never be refused; that it was a luxury to be graciously accepted and savored. However, in every picture I saw from their trip, the cold, bottled beverages they had were Cokes. Understanding the importance of their exhortations, I resigned myself to the notion that I would be drinking a few Cokes while in Uganda.

For some reason they don’t have Sprite. They do have Krest. Jeff told me that in an effort to get people to take malaria medicine, they invented a citrusy drink and laced it with medicine. It had a bitter taste, probably from the medicine, and became a favorite of many. After a while, they stopped putting medicine in it, but demand for the drink was still high so Coca-Cola continued to bottle it complete with a non-medicine, medicine taste. To me, it tastes a little like Squirt, but not quite as sweet and with more bitter. Its like the bitter part of the grapefruit skin was included right along with the sweet fleshy part. My wife tried a sip and puckered like a pleat on Fat Albert’s khakis.

I drank quite a few of them in Africa and remember their cooling, refreshing qualities with fondness. Since my return I have not located anyone in the States who sells it. Imagine: a luxury that an African can enjoy for a dime that I can’t get here in America! Recently my friends Tim and Chalon went to Kenya and they brought me a bottle. I figured the hot weather was a perfect excuse to enjoy it.

9 Comments:

Blogger Lisa said...

THere are several things that we enjoy from Ecuador that we can't get here. We are blessed that the in laws do a lot of traveling to the states and always send us a box with all the goodies we love.

I love the paradox of living in the land where everything is at our finger tips, but certain foreign delacacies that are no where but at the source.

I also love the image of Fat Alberts pleats puckering. Awesome.

Fri Jul 07, 12:55:00 PM PDT  
Blogger Jennifer B. Davis said...

See the vendor at http://cgi.ebay.com/East-Africa-Krest-Bitter-Lemon-Soda-Bottle-Caps-tops_W0QQitemZ6266921024QQihZ010QQcategoryZ13550QQssPageNameZWD1VQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem.

If they sell the bottle caps, maybe they'd sell you the soda as well?

Or, perhaps you could get a prescription to malaria medicine and dissolve it in Squirt. Just a suggestion.

Fri Jul 07, 02:26:00 PM PDT  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

"Like a pleat on Fat Albert's khakis"

LOL! I'm so stealing that.

Fri Jul 07, 03:55:00 PM PDT  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Seriously, what is it with Coke products and drugs?

I have to admit that I as well loved the line about Fat Albert's Khakis. As always, great writing and photo.

Sat Jul 08, 12:31:00 PM PDT  
Blogger rebecca marie said...

mmmmquinine soda.

Sat Jul 08, 04:04:00 PM PDT  
Blogger Jason Hill said...

Lisa, yeah we Americans think we are much cooler than we are.

Jennifer, it looks like that guy is shipping bottle caps from Africa. I can't imagine what it would cost to ship bottles of Krest. I need a stateside hook up.

CJ, yeah Coke is half pharmaceutical, half tasty beverage maker. If you are really brave, check out this on snopes. Now that would be some cross marketing I'd like to see you parody.

All, don't know where the Fat Albert line came from, just seemed to fit. Thanks for the props.

Sat Jul 08, 04:51:00 PM PDT  
Blogger RoniZee said...

Schweppes makes a bitter lemon drink that is delish. It was all over Europe, but I would imagine that it wouldn't be too hard to find in the US....maybe at Cost Plus World Market?

Mon Jul 10, 01:19:00 PM PDT  
Blogger Cheryl said...

All of a sudden, I am REALLY thirsty for a Bitter Lemon....
I love this post...except for the making me thirsty part...
:-)

Wed Jul 12, 06:57:00 AM PDT  
Blogger Jen said...

sorry to hear about the heat. I go outside and sweat to death but then I think to myself, "I'm stupid. Time for some air conditioning." Sorry you all don't have the same luxury...

Sun Jul 23, 06:18:00 PM PDT  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Older Posts Newer Posts