Friday, December 09, 2005

Stepping Back

The shock of what happened to my treehouse Tuesday night is starting to wear off. I am now able to step back from the tragedy and see the entire project.

From this viewpoint my mistake is very obvious. I turned a blind-eye to the weight rating of the all-thread. Heck, I didn’t even know what the weight rating was. I just assumed that it was sufficient. I knew my cables could each hold 14,000 pounds. I also knew that the crimps on the ends where rated at 30,000 pounds and the eyenuts, turnbuckles, shackles and eyebolts all fell somewhere in between. But the all-thread was a mystery. I’ve since learned it was not sufficient, hah! I’ve found some suppliers that sell all-thread with a rating as high as 300,000 pounds. That is probably a bit excessive, but I will not skimp when it comes to my next design. I’ve also decided to pattern my cables and beams after a cable-stayed bridge and will triple the number of cables I use, thus spreading the weight over more tree attachment points to avoid what happened the other night.

More cables means I won’t want them running through my house and I’ll need to adjust the placement of the walls. In the end I’ll probably have a smaller house due to the narrow distance between my trees.

Don’t know how soon I’ll get to work on all of this, since the weather is a bit crummy right now, but I will keep you posted on my progress for sure.

5 Comments:

Blogger Johnathan M. Thomas said...

Keep your eyes open... The Discovery Channel may want to use this story for their episode, "Seconds from Disaster"

Glad to hear things are looking up.

peace.
johno~

Fri Dec 09, 10:15:00 AM PST  
Blogger Jason Hill said...

Yeah. How does a guy with a failure such as mine convince people that his second structure is safer? Maybe I can get on myth busters? They can come and test the weight capacity of my structure.

Fri Dec 09, 12:51:00 PM PST  
Blogger Lindsey said...

...but I will not skimp when it comes to my next design.

For the last couple days I've been in suspense about whether you would give treehouse-building another try. So I got really excited when I read this phrase!

Fri Dec 09, 04:12:00 PM PST  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Remember me asking if you had a PERMIT for this project??? A good plan would be to build another one, gather together a dozen of your closest friends, then crowd in during the next wind storm and test your workmanship.

Fri Dec 23, 05:48:00 PM PST  
Blogger Jason Hill said...

I light of my recent track record, I'm not sure I have a dozen friends who would follow me up a tree.

I will, however, invite you; what was your name again?

Fri Dec 23, 11:40:00 PM PST  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Older Posts Newer Posts