Monday, January 12, 2009

Change in Venue

Yesterday was a turning point in my life. I have been an active member at the Metro Church of Christ since 1989. At the conclusion of yesterday's service I read the following through blurred vision:

Dearest Family,

It is with mixed emotions that I announce that Christa and I have completed our time at Metro. We have felt the urging of the Spirit to embark upon a new journey; and while we are excited about what God has in store for us, we are sad that we will no longer be serving at Metro.

After 19 years of membership, this is not an easy thing to do. You are our family and we have been shaped through our time with you.

Please know that we are not leaving because of any falling out, or disagreement with anyone. We hold the Metro leadership in the highest regard and look forward to seeing where they will lead you.

For us, this is like a graduation. Metro has loved us, fed us, and inspired us--and now we must commence the next chapter.

We take comfort during our transition from stories in the Bible where God moved people from one place of service to another. Heroes like Abraham, Ruth, and the disciples were all asked to leave the places where they were and take a new journey.

Our new station has not been revealed to us, so the first step of our journey will include reflection and listening. During this period we covet your prayers for our direction.

We love you very much and will seek to continue the relationships we have formed with you despite our departure.

We pray that God will:
cover you with His wing when you need protection,
strengthen you with His joy,
surround you with his people so you have a sense of belonging,
turn His face toward you and give you peace.


When it was over Christa and I were met with an overwhelming outpouring of love. I can't tell you how much I will miss that church. They will always be my family. I will never take for granted the time I was allowed to serve there.

Regarding the future, I have never felt so in love with my wife. We are embarking on this journey together and can't help but be excited to see where God leads us.

14 Comments:

Blogger Unknown said...

Blessings on the journey.

Mon Jan 12, 07:13:00 PM PST  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

As one embarking on a new journey myself, I can identify with the excitement of the unknown. God bless each new step and may He lead you with His purpose and in His peace.

Mon Jan 12, 07:28:00 PM PST  
Blogger ewall said...

Love you Hills.

Mon Jan 12, 09:17:00 PM PST  
Blogger Luke Coles said...

Wow. Praying for the new adventure.

Mon Jan 12, 09:18:00 PM PST  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Ok - We're supportive etc, etc, love you, want the best for you and all that - but I'm going to miss my friends, and I don't want you to go. Maybe I'm just selfish, I'm willing to concede that:) Actually, I'm sure that I AM selfish, since I myself will be moving away in about 6 months, but I want everyone else to just stay the same until I'm ready for changes. Why, oh why can't the world spin around me???

Give Christa my love. You guys have been important to me for a long time, and I guess I've just come to rely on your stability as i flit around - but even in my sarcasm above, I hope you know that I really do love you both and hope all the best for you in your church transition.

Mon Jan 12, 09:35:00 PM PST  
Blogger KMiV said...

Jason and Christa,
It is an exciting journey and we have been blessed over the past two years with our journey. And I too have never been more in love with my wife.

It is tough however but God has always called his people to a journey. You both will really see love manifested in many ways.

God bless you both.

Tue Jan 13, 07:51:00 AM PST  
Blogger Kristi said...

Allan and I have had to call Metro our second home now for nine years. But you are one of the primary reasons we love going back. We almost always ask my parents ahead of time, "Do you know if Jason is leading worship??" You have such an amazing gift that has blessed the spiritual growth of that congregation. And the teaching you two have done of so many little ones through the years has been so fantastic. I followed Christa's example in a number of ways as I saw her teach my own kids with genuine love and creativity. So, I'm sad for us and Metro in the change ahead, but I am excited for you and Christa and how the Spirit will use you next.

Tue Jan 13, 08:48:00 AM PST  
Blogger Jennifer B. Davis said...

Jason and Christa, what an adventure you have ahead of you!

Tony and I did something similar and we too felt it was like a graduation and establishing of our own identity as a family (and have done it a few times on these temporary assignments we have been on for my work). We visited a bunch of different churches and soul searched about how we could serve and where. I pray that you don't get discouraged or impatient in your search. Going from deep roots and knowing everyont to being a "visitor" is a tough transition to make.

If we can be praying for anything specific for you, let us know.

Selfishly, we'd love it if you would visit Westside as you look for your next church home. Come anytime! We are certain that wherever you end up, God will put you to good use and surround you with family.

All of God's blessings to you both!

Tue Jan 13, 09:32:00 AM PST  
Blogger Johnathan M. Thomas said...

I love you both!

Tue Jan 13, 10:50:00 AM PST  
Blogger Ryan Woods said...

I appreciate the example of faith that y'all are. Your letter made it evident that you aren't "leaving" but your being sent.
Have a wonderful journey!

Tue Jan 13, 02:22:00 PM PST  
Blogger Jen said...

Ahhh. I understand now. thanks for sharing. May God bless you and give you understanding and clarity.

(I hear there's a unique church planting opportunity in Vancouver but it will be a little while before it's time...)

Tue Jan 13, 07:10:00 PM PST  
Blogger Paula said...

I vote for Seattle! Or, more specifically, Enumclaw! I hear there's some great people there! :)

Love you guys! We'll be praying!

P.S. I could use a couple more people to get a volleyball team going... :)

Wed Jan 14, 02:50:00 PM PST  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I am honored to pray for you and Christa in this step of faith. I am grateful for the times of fellowship we have shared. Keep us posted. Laura Hamilton

Fri Jan 16, 06:54:00 AM PST  
Blogger Cheryl said...

I'm hearing that you are looking for a place to serve and work...and most likely Stateside is your biggest consideration. But never underestimate just how far God can take you...Uganda for instance. :-) :-)We have kids to serve, opportunities to grow and an army needing reinforcements.
Just thought I'd throw that out there...
Love you guys and many blessings on this journey.

Mon Jan 19, 01:01:00 AM PST  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Older Posts Newer Posts