Friday, January 20, 2006

One Page Essay

What I did over Christmas Vacation


I celebrated Christmas with my family. My family includes 1 wife, 3 brothers, 2 sisters-in-law, 2 parents, and 2 nephews. This Christmas was the first time we had all been together. Blake and Kim hosted in Colorado so that the kiddos wouldn’t have to travel. Not everyone could get off for the same days, but we were all there for Christmas. Mom and Dad arrived a few days early with Josh then left 2 days after the 25th. Christa and I arrived on Christmas and stayed until New Year’s. Cody and Tina live in Colorado so they were there the whole time, although now they have their own apartment.

My favorite part was meeting my new nephew Adam and checking up on his big brother Griffin. Experiencing the holiday with kids gave me a fresh perspective. I am by no means a scrooge, but I have seen it all a couple dozen times. Watching my nephews see it for their first couple of times made it new.

Adam is just a few months old so his perspective is a bit limited. I imagine for him the presents and food went mostly unnoticed. I do not, however, think he missed the lights. His big eyes caught every twinkle and color as he was passed from relative to relative. I’d guess his impression of Christmas is never wanting for someone to hold him. Parents, grandparents, uncles, and aunts were all nearby to fill his holiday dance-card. Each dancer with their own rhythm, song, and technique for holding him.

Griffin is 2, so present time was not wasted him. His tiny fingers deftly released each treasure from the colorful paper. Pausing to tryout each new plaything filled the short gaps before another gift was placed in his lap. Each gift brought a new surprise and a new reason to be thankful for a large family that is mostly filled with adults.
This is a position that he takes on with gusto and he rarely moves from the center of attention. Only on occasion will his infectious spirit be overshadowed by an Uncle. I imagine for Griffin Christmas means a big audience. There was always someone to coax into a game of Rescue Rangers, share a cookie with or take a ride on his brand new trike.

It sounds a little cliché, but they reminded me that Christmas is family and getting everyone together makes it a holiday.

BTW, I highly recommend the book I Stink which follows a New York City garbage truck as it saves its citizens from Mount Trash-O-Rama. A fun read and a Griffin Favorite.

4 Comments:

Blogger Kristi said...

Very sweet photos of the little guys. Glad you all got to be together this year. Those make for precious memories!

Fri Jan 20, 09:32:00 AM PST  
Blogger Carol said...

Great pictures! It is fun sharing Christmas with the little guys. I agree with your recomendation of I Stink. It is a great book.

Fri Jan 20, 11:20:00 AM PST  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Any book titled I Stink is a must-read in my, er, book.

Adam is so cute! Can't belive Griffin's only 2, he seems older to me.

Fri Jan 20, 03:13:00 PM PST  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

(sorry, that was me ^ - Allan)

Any book titled I Stink is a must-read in my, er, book.

Adam is so cute! Can't belive Griffin's only 2, he seems older to me.

Fri Jan 20, 03:14:00 PM PST  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Older Posts Newer Posts