Thursday, March 10, 2011

Day 10 - No Cars

Jason's tips for successful public transportation :

1. Patience. Maybe its because the woman next to me is sighing loudly and constantly checking her watch, but it seems to me that patience is a key to navigating the public transit system. I'll be honest with you, sometimes buses and trains are late, or delayed, or simply missing. No amount of toe-tapping will change that. If waiting's not your thing, you might be better off in a car.

But, if you can settle into the rhythm of the system you'll be rewarded. I tell myself, I'm just a small part of this big organism. It has tentacles that reach to every corner of the city. Ferrying people like blood cells in a vast network of veins.

Waiting for a pickup is just a small part of the experience.

4 Comments:

Blogger kaelea said...

I'm all for practicing patience but when it is 15 degrees out and it's been 1 1/2 hrs since I arrived at the bus stop and the tri-met text message keeps telling me that it will now be here in 8 min, 2 min, 10 min, 5 min until the next bus shows, I just wish it would tell me it will be 2 hrs before the next bus and I would choose to go to the mall while I wait to warm up! That's all I have to say.

Thu Mar 10, 07:22:00 PM PST  
Blogger Jason Hill said...

That may be all you have to say, Kaelea, but you have spoken volumes. Waiting in the cold is the worst--especially when you are getting bad information. Sometimes I wish I had the cell number for the driver, then I could find out where the bus really is!

Fri Mar 11, 07:54:00 AM PST  
Blogger Rebecca said...

So are you saying that TriMet doesn't revolve around you?

Fri Mar 11, 09:28:00 AM PST  
Blogger Adam Wolfgang said...

life seems to move much slower when it's powered by your own legs.

Sat Mar 12, 09:55:00 PM PST  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Older Posts Newer Posts